I knew exactly where I wanted to stay during my first visit to Tulum - Azulik Eco Resort
I’d seen pictures of this unique tree-house lodge circulating around Instagram and it looked phenomenal. Now I know that pictures, despite how great they are, don't even begin to do this place justice.
Sometimes I don’t mind where I stay - Give me a clean room with a shower & I’ll be fine. Other times, I purposely seek out one-of-kind places that are an experience in themselves. That might be a purple airstream in the middle of east Texas, a treehouse in the middle of the rainforest in Costa Rica, a glamping tent in a Mayan town and in this case…a jungle treehouse overlooking Tulum's white sand beaches.
Upon arrival, we were welcomed with a traditional Mayan ceremony to cleanse us of any toxins or negative energy so that we could focus on being present. It was explained that Azulik was designed to bring connectivity to ourselves and/or each other. This is why there are no tv’s, A/C, wifi, or other 'distractions' throughout the property. After giving us a tour around the property and explaining the philosophy at Azulik, they welcomed us with a green juice and walked us to our villa.
We were blown away the moment we walked through the entrance. The whole property is raised off the jungle floor and you are completely surrounded by nature. Despite being only 5-10min away from any establishments, it feels like you are a thousand miles away from civilization. My jaw nearly dropped as we walked through maze-like wooden bridges & enchanting archways to get to our room.
Our villa? Oh, It was love at first sight - a beautiful white round canopy bed in the center of the room, a private toilet with an intricate wood carved door, a small handmade mosaic bathtub with an empty coconut to fill & rinse our bodies with, an intimate dining area with pillows on the floor for seats instead of chairs, floor-to-ceiling windows with intricately designed wooden blinds, and two large doors in front of the tub in case we wanted to soak as the ocean breeze flowed into our room. Sounds like heaven, right?
Then we step outside & we’re blown away by a spacious balcony that is equipped with a mosaic pool, 2 comfortable chairs, a wooden dining table, a magnificent view of the beach, and a round bed that hung from the ceiling. We jumped onto the bed like children and squealed in excitement. “Is this real life?”, I thought. I guess that cleanse worked because we looked at each other and admitted that we DID feel different. After laying on our balcony and overlooking the turquoise water, we did feel a shift in energy. It might sound corny, but my soul did feel a bit more calm & free. Within 30 minutes, we both declared that we’d never stay at a place better than Azulik.
We originally planned to stay here for 2 days and then move to a nice but more affordable place. We ended up loving it so much that we extended our stay for an additional two days. I was completely awestruck by the architecture every second that I looked around. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. We actually ended up sleeping on the bed on the balcony more than the bed in the room because it was so peaceful to fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves just below us. We woke up at 4am daily to watch the sunrise from the hanging bed outside or the plunge pool because it was just that spectacular. It was a blast to experience such a unique place with someone, but I could see it being just as special alone. I never wanted to leave this jungle treehouse.
Azulik is one-of-a-kind and I really do wonder if it can be topped. It's pricey, but completely worth it even if only for a few days. It's not for everyone - especially if you can't go without showers, A/C, or wi-fi. It is NOT your standard hotel or resort because it doesn't many offer modern amenities. However, it's perfect for anyone who is looking for a highly unique experience within the jungle and along the white sand beaches of Tulum.
FYI: This is NOT a sponsored post(I WISH! HA). This place was SO amazing that it deserved a blog post of its own.
Helpful things to know:
Azulik is adults only - all guests must be over 18
- The beach & entire property is clothing optional. People are not shy, so be prepared.
- Free yoga is offered every morning in the yoga dome
- The beach area is small , but private.
- If you are looking for a bigger area, you can wander along either side of Azulik to find endless stretches of beaches.
- The villas don't have A/C(only a fan above the bed), meaning it can get really hot & humid during the daytime inside of the rooms.
- Many restaurants are within a 5-10min walk down the beach
- The food at Azulik is just 'okay' in my opinion. I'd recommend exploring some of the restaurants in town for better food options. There are SO many to choose from!
- There are no showers, only tubs with a coconut to rinse yourself off
- Since there are no lights, the place is candle-lit by nighttime
- This creates an inconvenience if you are trying to get ready at night or do anything in your room at night. You can use your phone flashlight or bring one
- There is only one outlet to charge your electronics in the room
- This is not a traditional 'resort', so you won't have people waiting on you hand & foot. However, the staff is friendly & helpful if you need anything.
- The walkways are made of wooden sticks - Heels are probably not the best idea
- Wi-fi is available, but only in a concentrated area - not in the rooms
- Organic mosquito repellant, body soap, etc. are provided inside of the room
- You will need to fly into Cancun to get to Tulum. Check out my guide to Tulum here.